Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A lot of this and that and some great soup

How time flies.... nothing in particular happening, just a whole lot of real life.

Our cousin Andrew Davis was in Germany recently on a college trip.  We talked to him a number of times, and had hoped to get together with him Sunday when he was in Brussels, but it just didn't work out.  We were sorry not to have seen him, but enjoyed our talks and hope he has gotten the European travel fever!

Lucas got a big envelope full of forms from Obi, and conscientiously worked his way through him.  He had to make a lot of  calls here and there, and accomplished all of it by himself.  We will mail it back tomorrow.

I have today off, so he and I headed off to the store where he will be working the first 10 days.  It is quite close to Aachen (so not that close to us).  Google Earth failed us miserably and it took us about 3 times as long to get there as it should have.  We finally found it, though (by ourselves, thank you very much) and wandered around.  Got home much more quickly!

So what's happening on the cooking front...... a while ago I had bought some darling little mini casseroles, with covers, about 4 inches long.  Saturday night I roasted a small turkey breast, with rice and gravy (what else!).  Then I  had found some fresh broccoli, so I cooked that, heated up some hollandaise sauce and served that in the little casseroles!  Yummy and looked nice.

Had two bunches of fresh broccoli left over, and coincidentally I had found a broccoli cream soup recipe.  Made that last night, and boy was it good!  I think Norbert and especially Lucas were a little doubtful when I told them what dinner was, but they ended up loving it.  It made a large enough pot that there was enough soup leftover for an appetizer tonight.

For tomorrow I am planning an oven-baked stew.

I went through the stack of loose recipes the other night and sorted them all. While I was at it, I picked out a handful to try this week.  What is the point of gathering all these recipes if they never get tried?

We are still working our way through the mini-chocolate cupcakes, so I haven't had to bake again.  I will need to so again for the weekend, though, I imagine.

One thing I have been doing lately is going through my CD collection and loading them all into my laptop.  From there they will eventually wander onto my iphone and ipad.

Off again tomorrow with no particular plans (at the moment).

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment