Monday, March 5, 2012

Hi ho, hi ho, a-shopping we will go

Finally found some good sales on meat this week!  So after my treatment session this morning I went to the grocery store (complete with wet hair).  Here are the results:



It is a combination of things needed anyway (bottled water, milk, juice, oranges, bread and so on), and stuff for a big cooking session.

One of the meat was pork chops.  I planned for meals around 18 chops but wouldn't you know it, they came in packages of 5.  So I bought 4 packages.

I ended up with one package of two plain chops, two packages of three plain chops (planned for baked pork chops and rice), two packages of three chops in Weber Grill white wine and herb marinade (bought on sale in US last month) and two packages of three chops in a homemade marinade.

They were easy, it was just a question of throwing stuff into bags.

On to the ground meat!


A huge pan full of spaghetti bolognese sauce, to make three meals.  (Lucas looooooooooves spaghetti).


Oh look, three packages of spaghetti sauce!


Next on the agenda were Frikadellen. Tese are a German specialty, which are somewhere between a hamburger and a meatball, usually eaten as is (that is, with no sauce or bun or anything).  Here they are ready to go in the oven.


Meanwhile the crockpot is chugging away with a double portion of chili con carne.


And the first batch of Frikadellen out of the oven!

This is a double batch of meat mixture for Mexcian Cornbread casserole:  meat, tomatoes, corn and taco seasoning.  When it is served, it is spread in the bottom of a pan and covered with cornbread dough, then stuffed in the oven.

And here the two bags of Frikadellen and three containers of Mexican cornbread casserole.  The two smaller containers can make one smaller meal each or be combined for a larger meal. 

So if I count right (which is highly doubtful) I now have an addtitional 14 meals in the freezer! 

I have Wednesday off work as well so I may well go back and pick up some more ground meat to make hamburgers, taco meat and salisbury steak.  Or not.  Although I do want some salisbury steak with onion gravy........

And the best part of the whole thing is, I don't have to worry about dinner tonight!  It is my sister-in-law's birthday and we are off to her house!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment