Sunday, March 4, 2012

Do unto others....

One of the main things I wanted to do while at Mom's was cook.  Of course I do that almost every day at home, too, but this was different.  She is not into cooking much any more, so one of my goals was to fill her freezer as much as possible with single serving sized portions of various entrees and breakfast foods.  She can then just pop them in the microwave and have a good meal!

The other goal was to help others.  Her church, St. Paul's Episcopal, keeps a large freezer full of food for those in need.  When the hurricane went through last fall, it cut off the electricity to the church, and they lost all that food.  The church has been good to Mom, and I love to cook -- the answer was obvious.



Six cooked chicken breasts and other supplies, waiting to be used.

I thought muffins might be nice, so I baked two batches.

Muffins and a crock pot full of chili.  Had I thought of it, I would have made corn muffins to go with the chili, a great combination.

And there my contribution to the church:  two different chicken casseroles and one chili, plus four bags of six muffins each.


Remember those chicken breasts?  In the interest of saving time, I boiled them.  We saved the water they had cooked in and Norbert used it as the basis for a chicken noodle soup with lots of fresh veggies. 


And we filled Mom's freezer, too, with muffins and soup and chicken casseroles and chili and lots of left overs!

The cooking itself is fun and it is gratifiying to do something to help others.  Who knows when we might need that help ourselves?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment