Sunday, February 5, 2012

Baking and such



Actually all I meant to do was to clean out the cupboard with the baking supplies.  It tends to get out of control very quickly.  But as so often happens, on thing leads to another.

In this case, 2.5 bags of dried cranberries led me to find a muffin recipe.  Now I have 1.5 bags of dried cranberries, but the muffins have received the Lucas seal of approval.

I also made a batch of dried mix for a substitute for cream of ... soup.  I can no longer buy Cream of Mushroom soup here, and the first substitute I tried wasn't terribly satisfactory.

Then I remember the seven huge sweet potatoes cluttering up the counter.  We already had eaten several, baked, for dinner one night.  I left three out for dinner tomorrow, and put the remaining four in the microwave while I continued to tidy.


Once out of the microwave and having cooled a bit, I peeled them and threw the chunks into a bowl.


 These guys are still awaiting their destiny.


Then I pulled out the trusty heavy duty potato masher and went at it.


I ended up with a three-cup container of sweet potato puree for a sweet potato pudding, and five containers with 1/2 cup each, for muffins.


These are the three for Monday's dinner.

Things have been changing around here so much that I have definitely gotten out of my usual routine.  But now that Lucas has settled down in his job, I can get back into my routine, or rather, into a new one.  The cycling season has started up again, so there will be more work again, but one of the joys of working from home is being able to take the laptop into the kitchen and typing alternately with baking or cooking.......

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment