Friday, December 6, 2013

Trying to go heart-healthy


The last few weeks I have been perusing the whole heart-healthy diet thing. Yes, there is a reason. As far as I know, my heart is fine. But Mom had heart problems. When she had her bypass surgery in 2001, the doctor said she had had several heart attacks already (unnoticed) and her arteries were over 95% blocked. When she died last spring, they were all blocked again – hence the final and fatal heart attack.

I also know that diet only plays a limited role in heart disease, but it is something we can control Plus, a healthy diet is – well, just plain good for you, right?

The hard part is going to be building all those fruits and vegetables into the menu plan. I am starting small. In addition to my usual glass of juice with breakfast, there will be a fruit cup or fresh fruit. Every sandwich now gets a layer of lettuce. Hopefully there will be two vegetables at every dinner, and at least every other day a tossed salad. Snacks can be fresh fruit, right now clementines and apples.

Going to be tricky to find affordable and tasty fresh fruit and veg during the winter though...

Happy to see some old favourites on the recommended list. Sweet potatoes! Yum! Can have those at least once a week. And a common breakfast recommendation is a whole-wheat english muffin with peanut butter.

Dinners will be a challenge, as the two men in the house aren't so in to this idea... But last night's Shrimp Scampi (less than 5 minutes in the microwave!) was a big hit, and I suspect tonight's Salsa Chicken Tenders will be too.

If they don't know it is “healthy” and “good for you”, they will be more likely to eat it, right? :-) And after all, I want to keep them both around for a long long time!

I can also adapt some of my current recipes. For instance this week's Turkey Wild Rice Soup called for two cups of heavy cream. I did half cream, half skim milk. It could easily go more to skim milk and not suffer.

I will also start incorporating more whole wheat into my baking. Just found a whole-wheat baguette recipe that looks great!

I am not being fanatical about this but taking it step-by-step.

Wishing everyone heart-healthy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment