Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Another "Feed the Freezer" day

I was finally getting tired of chicken, and fortunately ground meat was on sale.  You can buy ground beef, ground pork and mixed -- we use the latter.

Having decided on my recipes, I made lists and went shopping.


And this too:


Plus:


Ok, so the strawberries were just because they were on sale and a strawberry shortcake is always good, right?

First thing I did was not meat-related.  I made a double batch of baked rice, which is basically throwing rice and onion soup (or your choice of other seasonings) in the oven for an hour.



I then made double batches of: sauce for penne bolognese casserole, spaghetti bolognese sauce, and Texas hash.


That's how they looked cooling, and this is how they looked packaged up for the freezer:


That was the morning's work.  Took a break and ate lunch and then got back to work.  First up were the two Mexican lasagnes.





And they too got wrapped up for the freezer.




I wanted to make two regular lasagnes, but I was running low on meat by this point, and we looooove our lasagne, so I made one big one:



All the lasagnes will get a grated cheese topping before they get baked and eaten.

Finally, we had to eat that day too, so I tried out a recipe for Taco soup.  Turned out more like Taco stew, think I will add more liquids next time.  Norbert absolutely loved it, so there will definitely be a next time.


And finally, a non-cooking photo, just because we have the cutest Kitty in the whole wide world:


See her hiding in there?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment